I bought this to get the Eve Dallas "Interlude in Death"
novella (which was originally been advertised as being published
separately, but never materialised). The theme of the collection is
SFnal love stories. The Eve Dallas story, part of a long series,
here concentrates more on the police procedural aspects, and probably
makes sense only if you've read the others; the Laurell Hamilton is merely
an excerpt from a full Anita Blake novel, and probably doesn't make sense
even if you've read the rest. The other two novellas are complete
in their own right (that is, a beginning, a middle, and an end, all
occuring within the published story).
- J. D. Robb. Interlude in Death. 2001
- Lt Eve Dallas is attending an off-planet police conference, under
protest. When a police chief's aide is found murdered, the chief seems
strangely desperate to pin the blame on her husband, Roarke.
- Susan Krinard. Kinsman. 2001
- The empathic Kinsmaen are the bridge between humans and the alien
Shaauri. But there are forces on both sides who want to change things.
Kinsman Jonas, empathic sense terribly damaged, finds himself at the
centre of a plot.
- Maggie Shayne. Immortality. 2001
- The dark witch Puabi is washed up on a remote island just before a
storm, and found by Matthew, who realises she is almost identical to his
recently deceased wife.
- Laurell K. Hamilton. Magic Like Heat Across My Skin. 2001
- Extract from Narcissus in